Final Doctoral Examination
Please consult the GSSP Doctoral Students page for specific information about requirements, forms, and examination instructions.
Students may schedule their final examination after the following milestones have been completed:
- GPAS Degree Plan and the NRSM Research Plan are fully approved,
- The Doctoral Preliminary Examinations have been completed,
- The Graduation Packet has been downloaded,
- The Final Examination Committee has been submitted and approved,
- The thesis reviewers have accepted the dissertation for defense by turning in the Thesis Reviewers Report form,
- All coursework, including thesis credits, are completed (no incompletes or missing grades),
- The Final Examination has been scheduled with the gradaute school.
The final oral exam involves a public seminar presentation of the doctoral dissertation. The seminar is immediately followed by the formal final exam, which is closed to the public.
Students should make sure that the program coordinator and the appropriate departmental personnel are aware of the seminar so that it can be advertised, preferably about two weeks before it takes place. The Graduate School and the committee members must have at least one week of advance notice.